Thursday, March 22, 2012

Do you know what today is?
Do ya?
Do ya?
DO YA?

TODAY IS THE HUNGER GAMES!












That's right. At 12 am, I will be going to see The Hunger Games. For all who live under a rock, The Hunger Games is a book by Suzanne Collins (who was a writer for classic 90s Nick shows like Clarissa Explains It All). It's about this futuristic world where North America is now split into 12 different Districts, and then the Capitol, which rules them all. No one is allowed to visit other Districts, and each one is assigned a certain trade. That's where we meet Katniss Everdeen. In District 12, a District centered around coal-mining.
Played by the lovely Jennifer Lawrence
Each year two teens, a boy and a girl, are selected from each District to play in a fight to the death: The Hunger Games. Katniss Everdeen is one of them. The games symbolize the Capitol's control over the Districts, since years ago there was an uprising.

It's an excellent book., I highly recommend reading the first two (for the third is a letdown) if you're like me and sick of reading about teenage romance and "teenage problems." It's refreshing to read about a girl who, when thrust into the good-life after years of poverty, doesn't go "OOO PRETTY THINGS!" No. This girl knows it's all an illusion, that her main focus is to survive. She's not some spoiled brat, and she doesn't complain.

The books are also extremely relevant. It portrays how we let the media control us, how when faced with death, we will do anything to survive. Anything. It's powerful.

And so, if you haven't read the book, I strongly suggest you do. And how will it be as a movie? I'm hoping amazing, because it looks amazing.




I got my PEETA chips ready...






Now I have high expectations. It seems like yesterday they were casting. If it's done in a rush to just get it in theaters, then we've got Twilight. But if we have a well-thought out movie that is true to the books, then we've got Harry Potter here. Collins has created this world, and the movie needs to not only capture that, but expand on that. 

It's a tough job. Gary Ross, the director, has a lot on his shoulders. You know people are going to go see your movie, because it's highly anticipated and a highly beloved book. You better make a good movie or you'll never work in the business again. Remind me to never take on that responsibility. I'd rather create my own pieces of work through trial and error.  



With that in mind, my friends and I are all now sitting around, waiting for it to be midnight! 





No comments:

Post a Comment